I love having a project to work on. I become obsessed. I spend every waking moment planning, researching, writing notes and thinking of new ideas. When I started thinking about setting up Lady Locksmiths this was no different. Before I even started working as a locksmith I had my logo designed, uniform and van sorted, tools and equipment bought, business cards and leaflets printed, I thought I had everything covered. I had a image in my head of how my business would run and how I would conduct myself. I even dreamed about how successful my business would be and was planning in my head ways to expand before I had even picked my first lock. What I didn’t plan for was how lonely, frustrating and just how down right shit working for myself can be at times. Don’t get me wrong, I love being self employed and I meet some fantastic people but sometimes it would be nice to have someone to bounce ideas off or just to bloody rant at!!! Sometimes when the shit hits the fan it would be great to pass the problem on to someone in a higher position than me – unfortunately being self employed the buck stops with me!
I like to think that I am quite funny at times, this is kind of wasted when I am sat in the van by myself, witty comments I make just disappear out the window – not a single person hears them. If they ever snuck a recorder in my van I would be carted off. When you work with other people you always have someone to chat to, it doesn’t have to be a full blown conversation and you certainly don’t have to be best friends but its nice to chit chat over a morning cuppa or in a bait room at lunch time. I have recently stopped (ish)smoking and did the majority of my “chatting” standing round the back of South Shields Police Station with a tab, I spoke to people round there for years – couldn’t bloody tell you what they were called or what they did but every time our tab cycles were in sync then we would have a bloody good natter. Ahhhh the good old days at South Shields nick – more about that later. I tend to chit chat now with the lovely staff at Costa who provide me with a constant supply of coffee and random people I meet on a day to day basis.
Anyway I have been sat thinking about comparisons between being employed and being self employed, even with all the planning I put in to my business I didn’t take a lot of this stuff in to account.
- Being employed means that someone else dealt with all the shit! Being self employed means that I deal with everything – and I mean everything!
- Being employed means regular holidays and regular pay. Being self employed means I get neither of these things.
- Being employed means working regular hours with proper breaks. Being self employed means I live, sleep & breath my business 24/7.
- Being employed generally means you have work colleagues to chat with. Being self employed means I generally talk to myself.
- Being employed means generally means someone higher up will take the credit for your hard work. Being self employed means I get to enjoy all the praise – its mine, all mine!
- Being employed means following company rules and procedures, even when they are wrong or just a waste of time. Being self employed means none of this shit – no yearly time wasting appraisals for me anymore – yey!!!
- Being employed means only reaching positions they allow you to. Being self employed means with the right attitude I can take over the world!!!
So, on reflection its not that bad at all. Its tough at times and sometimes it would be nice to have someone to talk to but I can live with that. I wouldn’t trade what I have to go back to an environment where my thoughts and opinions mean very little and someone steals your milk from the fridge.
Until the next time.